1.1. Basic Operating System Concepts¶
1.1.1. What is an Operating System?¶
An Operating system is basically a intermediary agent between the user and the computer hardware.
- Manages the computer’s resources (hardware, abstract resources, software)
- It’s a resource allocator.
- It is also used to control programs to prevent errors and improper computer use.
- It is interrupt driven.
1.1.2. Operating System Benefits¶
- Simplifies hardware control for applications
- Enforcer of sharing, fairness and security with the goal of better overall
- Trade-off between fairness and performance
- Trade-off between optimal algorithms and lean algorithms – OS is overhead.
- Provides abstract resources
- Inter-process communication